Sunday, September 25, 2011

I have arrived. Twelve thousand or so miles have been travelled over land and sea. I now have the Antipodes to call home.

The journey was somewhat uneventful, only an Irishman for company, and amusing though he was, we parted ways as he diverged for the Southern Island..

I am now in the company of my relatives, their hospitality has been astounding, and I am truly revelling in the opportunity to catch up on years lost. Distance is a brutal thing when you want to spend time with those you love.

Over the few surrounding days, I have and will be getting used to the time difference; a whole twelve hours marks the difference between here and my beloved England. As well as acclimatising to the return of Spring. However, it is the Season of the Games, and though somewhat archaic, it is almost a religion in this part of the world, where nations fight against each other for the title of world champion.


It is nothing like I expected, it is far more civilised in some aspects, though their fashion is to be questioned. They seem to place very little social baring on prestige, but rather expect you to prove your worth. Of course I've brought a little intrigue to the city, but only because of the distance travelled, not because of my title. I'm tempted to return to my ploy as I did on the English Coast with the nun and disguise my identity, so as to take part in the frivolities.

There were times on my three day journey when I thought of the White Knight in battle... I passed not so very far from the country he is at war with and I suppose it was only natural that I prayed and hoped to see him again soon... Though with my plans geared towards the Antipodes, it doesn't seem very likely.

But for now I am enjoying the scenery and the company of my family. The country is beautiful and I have never seen flora quite like it. The Games are keeping me entertained and I look forward to having the Gameskeeper and his retinue join me in the next few days!


D. S.

2 comments:

  1. My Dearest Duchess,

    Forgive me for not responding sooner but things have hectic for me with family emergencies and errands. Things seemed to have calmed down in that area only to have a lightning storm trying to disrupt my time to do correspondences. It's getting close to succeeding.

    Anyway Duchess, I am glad to hear that you made it safely to your destination. I have heard that trips, such as yours, can be somewhat tricky at times. But it is always good to reconnect with family and get to meet new people.

    Storm seems to be getting worse so I better go. Enjoy your time and can hardly wait to hear of your new adventures.

    Always,
    Misha

    P.S. If it won't disrupt your family's life try and go in disguise among the new people, but then they may not care that you are a Duchess and accept you the way you are. But I just thought... Does the Gamekeeper know about your real identity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My darling Misha,

    It is always wonderful to hear from you, so no worries about the length in time that I may have to wait. I do hope that the storm has passed and you have recovered from your busy time with family.
    My time in the Antipodes has been rather eventful what with the emergence of the Gameskeeper, who, yes knows all about my façade, and his cousin. But though I didn't behave myself completely, I only indulged briefly.
    I love spending time with my family, and I look forward to spoiling them tomorrow as I cook for the masses!
    All the best darling.

    Your one and only,
    Duchess of the Shire

    ReplyDelete